Saturday 15 March 2008

I thought one day I might go blind

So I've been practising shaving without looking in the mirror. As I don't wear my glasses when I shave, this ends up looking much the same as when I shave and still look in the mirror.

I'm testing the theory that you can shave by sound and system. 'System' means doing things in the right order, with special attention to the chin and the left upper side of the lip (for right-handers, which I am). 'Sound' means that when you hear 'rasp, rasp, rasp', you keep shaving, and when you don't, you stop.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good idea - perhaps! I think you need to add "Feel" to your list.

I shave in the shower, and sometimes have to touch up in the mirror around the goatee. I had a bad accident some years ago where I slipped and cut a big stripe through it and had to shave it all off.

But if you go blind, does it really matter what you look like?

Ben said...

I shave 'blind' in the shower, by system (and occasially by feeling for stubble with my hand).

The only thing I don't get right sometimes is sideburn length; otherwise, it's all good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gordo,

I've been shaving by feel in the shower for years now. I think I started doing it in order to ensure that all the lather got washed off and didn't cause pimples. I probably won't win any green brownie points for the practice, however.

Gordon Cheng said...

I had a bad accident some years ago where I slipped and cut a big stripe through it and had to shave it all off.

That really is not as bad a accident as it could of been, Craig. Remember Norman Gunston? The little bits of tissue paper stuck on the face? It goes downhill from there.