Thursday 5 June 2008

Good night

Lighten our darkness, we beseech Thee, O Lord;
and by Thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night;
for the love of Thy only Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Amen.


Be present, O merciful God,
and protect us through the silent hours of this night,
so that we, who are wearied by the changes and chances of this fleeting world,
may repose upon thy eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Amen.

The first prayer is the third collect from the Order for Evening Prayer in the Book of Common Prayer. The second prayer is also sometimes used at Evening Prayer, and can be found here.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Love it! I'm linking here soon. Where are they from, Gordo?

Gordon Cheng said...

They are great, aren't they. My earlier Christian life (from age 15 on) was spent praying these on a weekly basis at the Anglican church I was involved in.

I put some links into the post.

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm a heretic now :), Evensong is still my favourite service: and those prayers some of my most treasured. I do miss Evensong: and organs. :)