Saturday 30 June 2007

David comments on our bookshelf

Davd M commented on the previous post that our bookshelf (made famous by yesterday's photo in the SMH) looks chockers.

It's true David. All bookcases in our house are chockers. Then there are the books I have in my office. When we lived down in Melbourne we had an entire wall of the study out back lined with shelves, and we could've fitted more then, but ever since moving back to Sydney it's all been too squeezy. I remember when the packers for our move to Sydney came to our house. All was well until they went out the back for a look-see, and then I saw the chief packer's shoulders distinctly slump.

Now I realize that if I want a book, the library is the best first option! They will mind the book for me when I'm not reading it. Although now that I've finished my Masters it may mean that my reading interests broaden out again. I may finally finish Rebecca West's Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, on Yugoslavia; also Paul Johnson's Modern Times. Tim Booker told me that a lot of the 3RAR guys he knew loved the Flashman series, and he thought they were a terrific read too, so I may see if I can track them down.

Anyone else got any recommendations?

1 comment:

David McKay said...

All our bookshelves are chockers, but I also have books on the floor in the study, books on the filing cabinet, and books everywhere.

There's very few I'd want to give away, and I regret losing some of those I no longer have.

Then there's the CDs. IAG insurance wants me to specify exactly how many CDs we have [because they don't believe anyone would have that many], but they don't seem to mind how many books we acquire.

Recommendations? Based on what I've learnt so far, I think you'd enjoy Helena. [See my review at SA reading.

I also think Ben Mendelsohn's The Lost would interest you, but I'm way behind in reading it. Ben tells the story of his Jewish heritage and his search for what happened to family members who disappeared during Hitler's purge. His explanation of his understanding of the Tenach is intriguing and frustrating. Reminds you of 2 Corinthians 4:4, and makes you thank God again for what he tells us in 2 Corinthians 4:6.