Sunday 10 June 2007

Confession

I'm really sad that in our public prayer, confession seems to have disappeared.

Here's what we used to say each week in the days when we used the prayer book:

Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
maker of all things, judge of all people,
we acknowledge with shame the sins we have committed,
by thought, word and deed, against your divine majesty,
provoking most justly your wrath and indignation against us.
We earnestly repent, and are heartily sorry for all our misdoings.

Have mercy on us, most merciful Father.
For your Son our Lord Jesus Christ's sake
forgive us all that is past,
and grant that from this time forward
we may serve and please you in newness of life,
to the honour and glory of your name,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


I'm leading church tonight, so I might get us to pray this together. If I can get that most excellent PowerPoint set up in time.

3 comments:

cafedave said...

How did it go? I try and adapt the Anglican confession to the Presbyterian services that I run (having grown up Anglican, it feels comfortable), but they not everyone includes them.

Gordon Cheng said...

It went fine, thanks, and we will do it again next week because I am leading again next week.

I don't think a set prayer is necessary, but the advantages are that with repetition, you remember then. Also it is a good way for the whole congregation to be involved in what you are doing. It means that people are speaking words of encouragement to each other, or to God in each other's hearing, which I think is really good.

Mattt said...

It was good - Thanks Gordo. I agree, we don't do it often enough. Although, I was accutely aware of how strange it must have seemed to the non chritian guy sitting next to me. At the same time, our singing probably seemed just as wierd. A friend of mine once said that to have an experience similar to that of a non christian going to church, I should spend some time in a TAB.