Saturday 17 January 2009

A New Dawn: How The World Will Change

This was the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald today, advertising the 'News Review' concerning Barack Obama's upcoming presidency of the United States of America.

Well, in case you were in any doubt...

News flash: This is not a new dawn.

Subsequent news update: The world won't change all that much.

I put it to you, dear reader, that the only thing that remains of the 'news' 'paper' that I used to read when I was growing up is the paper.

Admittedly, the title 'A New Dawn: How The World Will Change' was not actually a headline. I would be misrepresenting the SMH if I said that it was.

The actual front page headline was 'For richer, for poorer...money can't buy love.' It was a story from the economics writer, Jessica Irvine, about how some people have decided to opt for smaller, cheaper weddings.

Is that news? You be the judge. It didn't used to be.

1 comment:

Trevor Cairney said...

Nice to have you back Gordon. Like you I was amused by a newsreader on the same day who was also suggesting that the USA and in fact the whole world would be changed by Obama's inauguration. I made probably as much fuss on the lounge as you did when reading the SMH. I'm sure that Obama will be changed by it, and his family too, but we'll see after that. Trevor