Tuesday 6 May 2008

John Woodhouse on 1 Samuel

This one's for you, Alex!

I see that you can get at least some of John Woodhouse's comments on 1 Samuel by going to the website for his book and clicking around a bit. You get to find out whether fat old Eli wears a black hat or a white hat. I think. Or maybe not.

Click on through, it is easy reading and helpful for anyone who is interested in this part of the Bible. John's book on 1 Samuel is great stuff for anyone who missed him speaking on this at CMS Summer School.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmh, thank you very much! I have clicked around a bit, and first of all I have to say that Woodhouse obviously has the rare gift of writing really readable commentaries.
He has a very good solution for my problems with 2:30. God's promise, that "you and your house shall go in and out before me forever", was a promise given to the house of Aaron of which Eli's family was only one branch. This branch is now cut off but the Lord is still faithful to his first promise.
I am sure Woodhouse offers also solutions for other things which puzzled me, but I will stick to the principle to read commentaries only after we have discussed the passages.

Alex