Wednesday 2 January 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Always been irritated by them. No, more than that, can't stand them, especially those relating to weight loss and exercise. The last resolution I made a few years ago, which was to increase my commitment to cigar smoking, failed miserably. I had been a cigar a month man, and I promptly dropped back to about twice a year. You see? Resolutions don't work. Weight loss resolutions in particular remain a puzzlement to me. They especially don't work, and there are many better ways to lose weight if you feel you have to.


One of my favourite gags off The Simpsons was the tombstone that read "Lose Weight now—Ask me How!"


Anyway, if you were going to make resolutions (or if I were, for that matter), it would be to pray more when I hear news like this, about people who were sheltering in church being burnt to death by an angry post-election mob in Kenya. And also, I'll be praying this month for Christian friends in Pakistan, after the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. There'll be regular reminders of Pakistan (and therefore prompts to pray) during the Oz vs India Cricket Test series this month, which I'm listening to on the wireless even as I type. Go Oz!


I suppose people who were committed to resolutions about weight loss and exercise might spend a year or three in Kenya (or Pakistan) helping the local churches there to rebuild after they'd been attacked by militant anti-Christians or mobs of people pursuing other fights. You'd lose weight like nobody's business, and you wouldn't even have to think about it.

No comments: