Saturday 21 July 2007

Isaiah and Harry Potter

Tomorrow I'm preaching an overview of Isaiah, shamelessly pilfered from Barry Webb's commentary in the BST series. I don't mind stealing ideas, as every single thought that I've ever had comes from someone else and if it didn't, I would be forced to stop thinking. I don't do 'original'.

But I do feel vaguely embarrassed about doing an overview of Isaiah without having read it in recent times. And if Fifi can read the whole of Harry Plotter tonight, then I can manage Isaiah. Isaiah has 66 chapters and in my Bible only goes for 76 pages, a lot of which is poetry. Which I reckon is just a way of fooling people into thinking that you have a fatter book than you actually do.

So ask me tomorrow if I managed. Tour de France will be on the telly in the background.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you accomplish the feat?
One of the best tips for exegesis I ever picked up was to read a whole work through in one go. I once read Luke-Acts that way, it was great. I suspect Luke churned out more words than all of the Isaiahs put together.

Nixter said...

Sounds like Fiona finished HP, how did you go with Isaiah?

Gordon Cheng said...

Hey nixter,

fifi finished HP, and I am reading it now. She got sick too! Could this have to do with weakened resistance due to staying up until 3 reading??

Actually that's not how germs work. So I'm glad she had something nice to read while she was starting to get flu-ey.

Nixter said...

Yeah I pulled a late one (for me) but I had to get through it.. I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN! Enjoy it - I am sure you will, I did!

Don't get sick too though....

Anonymous said...

So God sent Harry Potter to rebuke the preacher of Isaiah. It cant be evil afterall!