Friday 14 January 2022

A colonoscopic COVID complication

 So far, so good, in the sense that our great God continues to work to his glory and our good. 

But the path has taken a sudden COVID-related turn. 

I’m feeling a lot better, especially after taking advantage of some Uber Eats (thank you kind friends) to have the first proper dinner in days, after some necessary fasting.

However during dinner Ruby got a text; the results of a COVID test. She’s tested positive. At time of writing, that was just over an hour ago.

That is complicated in all sorts of ways, especially given my medical appointments and possibly starting chemo in the next few days. Not the best time for me (or anyone really) to need to isolate.  

I’ve had two RATs in the last three days, negative both times including this morning. I’ve had virtually no contact with Ruby today and don’t fit the current rules about close contacts. Also no symptoms. 

What now?

I said to Fiona and the girls: Girls, I love you. But not enough to hug you, or kiss you, or even stay with you. I am about to be the RAT deserting a sinking ship. But you are in my prayers. Goodbye. 

They took this with good grace. Fiona was going to see her sisters tomorrow. Matilda has a modelling gig on Sunday. Lily would like to go to church. So really, complicated for everyone. Ah well.

Anyway  I left home straight away and now I’m at my dad’s. His place is big enough that I can, even tonight, have my own room (ventilated and separate) and my own bathroom. We are communicating by phone. As usual he is relaxed about the situation, which I guess you might be if you’ve reached the age of 91 and can still play tennis twice a week. 

This is less than ideal for all sorts of reasons, including my need to assume for his well-being that I’m COVID positive until proven otherwise. Praying that I can find a RAT tomorrow. 

[Edit 15/01 I found a RAT! Thanks to God as always for the faithful members and leaders of St Barnabas East Roseville]

Nothing is conclusive in this life but if it’s a negative, that will be good enough. Three strikes and COVID is out. Or at least, if I can then stay isolated until my next medical meeting.

Sadly that cuts out church on Sunday. They, like most, only got this news less than a week ago. It would have been great to see people personally and thank them for the many ways they have rallied around during a crisis.

That day will come, just a little later than anticipated. To God be the glory.

1 comment:

Fiona Bunn said...

Sending all my love and prayers to you and your family xx