Monday 14 January 2013

“A Hymn To God The Father” by John Donne

Such a comfort. Quoted on the Tolle Lege Blog.


“A Hymn To God The Father” by John Donne:
“A Hymn To God The Father”

By John Donne, (1573–1631)
Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun,

Which was my sin, though it were done before?

Wilt Thou forgive that sin, through which I run,

And do run still, though still I do deplore?

When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done,

For I have more.
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won

Others to sin, and made my sin their door?

Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun

A year or two, but wallow’d in, a score?

When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done,

For I have more.
I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun

My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;

But swear by Thyself, that at my death Thy Son

Shall shine as He shines now, and heretofore;

And, having done that, Thou hast done;

I fear no more.
–John Donne, “A Hymn to God the Father,” in The Complete English Poems (New York: Penguin, 1977), 348-349.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually wanted to comment on the 'sense of history' post,but for some reason I got an error message -- I guess I'll try again. Meanwhile, this poem is one of the greats of English Christian poetry,and thanks for bringing it to us.