Friday 2 March 2007

Jaywalking in Berlin-Spandau

Jaywalking. I know I shouldn’t but I do. It saves time, keeps me alert, stops people from confusing me with a role model, and develops reflexes and anticipation. For no good reason at all I thought this morning of a late night schtroll in Berlin-Spandau, back in December 1992. As I crossed the strasse against the lights I heard a guttural Teutonic voice bark out “Halt!”

I looked over my shoulder expecting to see a German in a uniform, but saw instead a middle aged man in a hat. I accelerated from a saunter to a walk. If I’d stopped as he commanded I could’ve been hit by a car. What was he trying to do, kill me?

At least I didn’t mention the war.

1 comment:

dutch said...

My first boyfriend owns a coffee biastro in Berlin-Spandu (I googled him years ago and saw him smiling next to his Japanese wife). If I went to Berlin, I would have to go in there, order coffee and not tell him who I was. Order everything in horrible German and then act angry if people did not understand me...

"Ich will DER COFFEE VON MOCHA! Ich habe hunger! Haben Sie etwas suess Essen? Mach schnell!" And then act totally serious.

Evil transaltion is:
"I want DER COFFEE OF MOCHA! I have hunger (am hungry)! Do you have something sweetish eating? Be quick!"

I bet he is still a hardcore atheist so this would certainly help bring him and his wife to the saving knowlege of Christ.

Are not you glad I stopped by your blog with my weirdness?

have a nice day!