Wednesday 16 February 2022

15-16 February pain followed by gain.

 [This is from my 15 February Facebook post, transferred here and updated for sake of completeness]

15 February. Slightly rushed health update. Intense pain in the middle of last night related to constipation and internal plumbing. Ambulance trip to RNS Public to find answers. Pain well controlled and about to see surgical team to discuss options in light of CT Scan results. To me, and this is pure speculation, the options are not likely to concern whether or not I get ice cream for dessert tonight, but more about whether some kind of surgery is about to happen. 

Who knows? Well, God does and that is good enough for me. If you are the sort of person who prays, you know what to do!

Thanks for those who comment and pray in various ways. Please know that I love reading what you have to say but responses are likely to be hit and miss. Generally I will put the latest onto my blog but just occasionally, like today, FB is probably the best way to go. 

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. 


Update #1 on basis of CT scans, emergency surgery would normally follow at this point. Couple more consultations required first. 

Update #2. Bowel cancer has perforated. Emergency surgery for perforated bowel about to happen. 

Update #3 surgery has happened. I don’t know what I was expecting but I feel surprisingly well. Colostomy, catheter, button for self-regulated pain relief, beautiful family and many friends, and above all, a hot line to the one who made all things in Christ, in whom all things hold together. God hears and answers prayer. 

Update #4 surgical team dropped in just now, 7.30 am on 16 February. They were happy with progress.

Thanks to those praying and sending messages. They mean a great deal. And I’ve been reminded of the Heidelberg catechism of 1563. Check out question 1 below:

Q. What is your only comfort

in life and in death?


A. That I am not my own,1

but belong—


body and soul,

in life and in death—2


to my faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.3


He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood,4

and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil.5

He also watches over me in such a way6

that not a hair can fall from my head

without the will of my Father in heaven;7

in fact, all things must work together for my salvation.8


Because I belong to him,

Christ, by his Holy Spirit,

assures me of eternal life9

and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready

from now on to live for him.10


[The Heidelberg Catechism, 1563. Q and A 1]


1 1 Cor. 6:19-20

2 Rom. 14:7-9

3 1 Cor. 3:23; Titus 2:14

4 1 Pet. 1:18-19; 1 John 1:7-9; 2:2

5 John 8:34-36; Heb. 2:14-15; 1 John 3:1-11

6 John 6:39-40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess. 3:3; 1 Pet. 1:5

7 Matt. 10:29-31; Luke 21:16-18

8 Rom. 8:28

9 Rom. 8:15-16; 2 Cor. 1:21-22; 5:5; Eph. 1:13-14

10 Rom. 8:1-17

9 comments:

Dawn Lam said...

Very glad to hear surgery went well Gordon! Thanking God that you are so encouraging even in such difficult circumstances!

Dawn Lam said...

Very glad to hear surgery went well Gordon! Thanking God that you are so encouraging even in such difficult circumstances!

Vanessa Webb said...

Praying for you, brother in Christ......I'm encouraged today as I read about your firm trust in the One who is able.

Michael J said...

Your faith in times of trial is inspiring. God Bless you brother.

Evo1 said...

A

Evo1 said...

You are in the right place - God bless those skilled medics!

Jen Copley said...

Glad that God guided the hands and brains of all. Praying for you mate. If you like early church music Emma Kirby is very good. I've been listening to Didos lament, but for you maybe go for something a little more boppy, like Exsultate, Jubilate https://youtu.be/IhRKFkM72u0

Brad Hansen said...

Sorry to hear of the complications, Gordon! Having B-cell lymphoma I was spared surgery back in 2018. But the chemo brain is definitely hard to live with.
Wish I could transport myself to Oz and convey in person the bond of Christ which is ours.
As an alternative, I will personally avoid singing or listening to "Oceans" by Hillsong.
Cheers! The Lord be with you.

Jools1939 said...

Glad surgery went well and you are feeling good Gordon. Rest well.