Thursday 2 June 2022

Short memory...must have a short memory (not a cancer update, 2 June)

 Not a cancer update but too good a story not to record here. (Oh, the cancer treatment seems to be progressing well although in the last two days I've had a return of nausea). 

Yesterday I'd organised to borrow my dad's car to get to my cancer treatment. Went to get it out of the carport--gone! After discussion with my dad he reported it as stolen. But who steals a keyless entry boring white suburban Mazda sedan with a scrape mark on its side? A complete mystery, and he asked the neighbours for help to no avail.

Today the same neighbour that he first asked said they'd found the car in the local Woolworth's carpark. Now I swear I have no memory of this even as I describe it, but apparently I drove down to the shops to buy some food for dinner, got the food, forgot that I'd driven the car and walked back to my dad's.

Thank God for good neighbours eh. Who knows how long the car could have stayed in the Woolies carpark otherwise.

This is now the third time in my life I've 'lost' a car in similar circumstances. In 2009 I lost a car in Top Ryde carpark and a nice security man picked me up and drove me around until we found it. I once went to a choir rehearsal, came back to where the car was, found it was missing and reported it stolen. Only to find it about 200 metres from where I thought I'd parked it.

I remember hearing, of all people, Brian Houston (ex-Hillsong) speaking of driving to a supermarket, not finding his car, reporting it stolen, collecting insurance etc. Six months later he returns to the same supermarket, looks over to the car parked next to his, and realises that it's the car he reported stolen six months earlier.

The incident recounted by Brian is one I heard in 2007. But I still have no memory of driving to the shops on Monday. Short-term memory loss anyone? I will tell my oncologist and he can tell me if it is a side-effect of treatment, in which case I guess this is a cancer update. But somehow I am doubting that.

Anyway here is another song I recall from a long time ago that somehow seems to relate:





In the meantime, move along folks. Nothing to see here. At least as far as I can recall.



2 comments:

Andrew said...

My brother did that once. He was running the City2Surf, so he parked his car in Bondi, jogged to the city and ran the City2Surf. After the race, he went to find his car and it was "gone"***. He reported it to the police. He reported it to insurance.

Over a week later, the Bondi police called him and told they'd found the car.

It was exactly where he'd left it...

He was in his 40s at the time.

***in this context, "gone" is a synonym for 'forgotten'

Anonymous said...

That's why I take a photo of my car every time I go shopping!