Monday 31 January 2022

Postponed portacath leads to preaching possibility

 If the doctor, and not COVID, had had his way, I would have been straight into hospital for the first cycle of chemo last Thursday, including the installation of the fabled portacath. But that would have kept me in hospital and would meant that I'd have missed church.

 As it is, the visit to hospital is happening tomorrow (Tuesday), and will mean that I'm in for the first cycle of chemo until Friday.

But that postponement meant that I could also fit in the planned preaching for yesterday. The passage was Psalm 13, and you can catch the reading and the sermon at 22:00 in this video. It's a bit rambly, could have done with a sympathetic editor, sorry about that, but what a great Psalm.


Here's Psalm 13, a Psalm of lament:


To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.

13 1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me for ever?
    How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
    and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
    light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him”,
    lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
    my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord,
    because he has dealt bountifully with me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What hospital are you at Gordo?

Gordon Cheng said...

RNSH Private

Evo1 said...

Thanks for this, I don’t know why, but the psalms have never really spoken to me but as you say, I keep on reading them in the hope that one day they will.

I love the ‘insert reassuring queue message’ your call was impoto them :)

Evo1 said...

Btw, praying that today goes smoothly.

Unknown said...

Great that you did manage to preach on Sunday -- and a powerful message to boot. I do love the psalms and many time did I pray "How long O Lord."

Lesley said...

Thankyou for the sermon. I was really impacted by your preaching that week. Last Sunday at Salt and Light I was asked to give a talk on my favourite Psalm. So I chose Psalm 13. It’s given me much to wrestle with and think about for the last few weeks. The youth at Salt and Light also shared how much they learnt from the passage so it has continued to bear fruit in the lives of many.

Thank-you for how God is working in your life and continues to work through you in your suffering.